Seriously, I have got to get better about sitting down to write because too much happens here! Because my last post was so broad, I figured I would elaborate a little more on what it is like living here so far. I can honestly say that I have not been this busy in a while! There is so much to do here, and it seems like every day is different.
The Compound
38 duplexes make up our expansive gated subdivision. There is also a large community center near the entrance that houses a gym, workout room, weight room, restaurant/bar, game rooms, and a small convenient store. Because it is 30 minutes or so from the city, going to run errands takes a little more time and planning than I am used to, especially because there are company cars that take us around. Then there is the whole process of getting dressed to go outside!
Going out
Obviously the selection in this remote city is a far cry from the abundance of restaurants we were used to in Houston and Abu Dhabi, but there are some nice hidden gems that people frequent here. Our date nights so far have been surprisingly good--sushi, Indian food, and some French cuisine, too. Most of the nightlife here happens after midnight into the wee hours of the morning, so I doubt we will stay up long enough to partake in anything too crazy! It's bad when 8am is still considered "late night."
That is all for now, but I hope to post more frequently in the future.
До свидания и Бог благословит вас,
A and J
OUR CONTACT INFORMATION:
Jesse and Allison Chando
c/o Exxon Neftegas Limited-Sakhalin
PO Box 4490
Houston, TX 77210-4490
Phone: 832-254-7736 ***Note that we are 17 hours ahead of Houston time, but feel free to call!***
The Compound
38 duplexes make up our expansive gated subdivision. There is also a large community center near the entrance that houses a gym, workout room, weight room, restaurant/bar, game rooms, and a small convenient store. Because it is 30 minutes or so from the city, going to run errands takes a little more time and planning than I am used to, especially because there are company cars that take us around. Then there is the whole process of getting dressed to go outside!
![]() ![]() |
| Jesse dressed up to shovel our way to the street after a huge snow storm! Playing basketball in the large gym. |
The Skiing
Being a beach person my whole life, winter sports do not come naturally to me, but I did enjoy my first outing with some ladies a couple weeks ago. It is so easy to get to the mountain and relatively cheap to rent skis, too. I am looking into lessons! Jesse and I bought helmets and goggles the other day and hope to hit the slopes very soon!| Me with Emmie and Adriana--the beginners unite! |
Snowshoeing
There is a huge field behind our houses surrounded by tall trees where people have blazed a nice trail for snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. I went with a few ladies the other day, and then went out again with Jesse since the sun was finally shining!Church
Several people here attend on Sundays, and I am so grateful for an opportunity to worship at the local church, even if it is in Russian! Some friends brought us last week and introduced us to a very talented Russian woman who is fluent in English. She sits behind us during the service and translates the songs, sermons, everything! They are very gracious to cater to the expats in this way, and the people are so inviting and kind...it is an amazing picture of what church should be.| The Baptist Church--the pastor and several of the English speakers! Most of the people shown live in our compound |
Grocery shopping
Most of the time a few ladies will share a car and make the journey into town to visit 2-3 stores. Everything is in Russian, so we are learning some of the food names in Russian class right now to help distinguish what is what! Obviously we are limited with some of the familiar name brands, but people make do with what is here just fine. Or bring in a ton of food/household goods from home in suitcases! I've been able to experiment and make several things from scratch that I normally just buy. There is a small convenient store in our community center where we can find several items.| Usually stocked with frozen foods and fresh produce. The other side of the store is mostly chocolate and beverages :-) |
| One of the stores at the "mall"--lots of furs here! |
| They sell baby sled strollers here, and I think it is awesome! Things you don't see too often :-) |
Hanging out
We have enjoyed socializing with several of the families here so far. Jesse and I are so fortunate to work and live amongst amazing people! Getting groups of people together for dinner or games or trips to town is a lot of fun. I look forward to getting our shipment so we can entertain more. Also, the ladies have a lunch every Tuesday up at the restaurant followed by an afternoon of cards, which is a nice way to sit and chat and meet people.Going out
Obviously the selection in this remote city is a far cry from the abundance of restaurants we were used to in Houston and Abu Dhabi, but there are some nice hidden gems that people frequent here. Our date nights so far have been surprisingly good--sushi, Indian food, and some French cuisine, too. Most of the nightlife here happens after midnight into the wee hours of the morning, so I doubt we will stay up long enough to partake in anything too crazy! It's bad when 8am is still considered "late night."
![]() ![]() |
| The left picture is date night at a fancy restaurant. They even have a "Cowboy Bar" here although I don't know that the Russians know what that means. It does have saloon doors though. |
That is all for now, but I hope to post more frequently in the future.
До свидания и Бог благословит вас,
A and J
OUR CONTACT INFORMATION:
Jesse and Allison Chando
c/o Exxon Neftegas Limited-Sakhalin
PO Box 4490
Houston, TX 77210-4490
Phone: 832-254-7736 ***Note that we are 17 hours ahead of Houston time, but feel free to call!***






Hi, Allison! I love reading about your adventures in Russia! It looks like you guys are enjoying the change of scenery. I can definitely relate to the part about it being such a process to get dressed to go outside in the snow. I hope your shipment arrives soon so that you'll be surrounded by some of the comforts of home.
ReplyDelete