Saturday, December 29, 2012

Joy to the world! All of it!

Merry Christmas!  Since Thanksgiving, Jesse and I have been soaking up as much holiday spirit as possible. We decorated our tree, went to Lights in the Heights, and he even took me to The Nutcracker (no, not the ballet. Jesse does not do the ballet, just The Nutcracker).  I baked and iced about a hundred gingerbread snowflakes while Jesse carefully selected white elephant gifts for our friends' annual party.  Singing Christmas carols at church on Sunday mornings in 80 degree weather is typical Houston, but it still put us in the spirit--I guarantee it wasn't snowing in Bethlehem, either.

This season has been more stressful than most, primarily because the Russian government decided to make things difficult. Waiting on our visas for the new assignment has been another test of patience--especially when dealing with three different time zones, language barriers, and the usual government bureaucracy.  Jesse got his paperwork a few weeks ago, while mine was delayed a month for no reason whatsoever. Because they needed him as soon as possible, Jesse left the week before Christmas, and I stayed here with no idea when my visa would arrive.  Finally on Christmas day I received the document we have been waiting on, but now the Russian Consulate in Houston is closed for a 10 day holiday, which means I have to wait two more weeks. Typical! Spending a month apart during the holidays is not ideal for either of us, but thanks to the internet and iphones, we have been able to communicate frequently. We also have a local Houston number in our new house in Sakhalin, so I can call him for free! In the meantime, I am decorating from afar...house #4 this year!

With a week to get things in order before Jesse's departure, he and I enjoyed a wonderful early Christmas with his family and had a "pretend" Christmas morning at our apartment.  Jesse had a very white Christmas in Russia, and I got to spend Christmas with my sister and brother-in-law and our families! The next day we all celebrated my grandmother's 95th birthday!

Above all, we are blessed to have such supportive families who go out of their way to work around our crazy lifestyle.  My sister is gracious to allow me to use her kitchen to bake cookies, and Jesse's parents let me come hang out with them when I need some company. My parents drive all over Texas to be with us--well maybe it is just a good excuse to go to Buccee's, but it is still very much appreciated!

The next few weeks will be be rough, but I look forward to our new adventures in Russia! Jesse is already enjoying his job and sends pictures daily.  Will post more on our new location soon.  I have a good feeling about 2013...





1 comment: