What always amazes me is how quickly we turn our attitudes from thanksgiving to coveting possessions in a matter of hours. Only a few days after eating turkey, and I have fallen victim to the commercialism that clogs my inbox every morning with "40% off this and that" and "BIG SALE." I confess to you now that I have completed most of my Christmas shopping with several gifts under the tree already. Efficient? Yes, but I think it is sadly a testament to my Cyber Monday shopping spree more than anything.
Confession: my mom asks what I need for Christmas, and I cannot think of anything. Honestly. Jesse and I have been really convicted about how much money we have been spending in the last few weeks on winter clothes, shoes and "supplies" for our upcoming move to frigid Russia. Last night I told Jesse that we might as well wrap up our stuff and put it under the tree because we have already bought each most of our gifts in the form of ski pants, snowshoes, boots, etc. Merry Christmas to us!
Okay, moving right along...
Thank the Lord that despite my own selfish desires, God uses the Christmas season to bring us back to his Son and the hope we have because of Christ's birth (and later his death and resurrection). He also uses this time to shed light on those who are less fortunate. If you are looking for some ways to make someone else's Christmas a little more cheerful, here are some great opportunities:
Salvation Army Angel Tree 2012 We do not have kids yet, so shopping for other little ones is so much fun! There are still a ton of little angels who need gifts!
Noonday Collection Buy some awesome gifts (think Anthropologie style) while benefiting the artisans abroad who make these pieces.
HOPE International A great ministry that helps those living in poverty throughout 16 countries generate income using a micro-finance model. For $30 you can purchase fabric and thread for a seamstress living in Rwanda so that she can grow her business and help others in her community! See website for more info.
Employee Matching If you work for a large corporation, what you may not know is that they will match donations to certain non-profit organizations or schools. That is money just waiting to be allocated by YOU to someone who needs it.
Obviously there are more ways to bless people who really need our help, and by doing so we can show what Christmas is all about. I'm not condemning shopping or giving gifts to our friends and relatives. This is a time to celebrate after all! Jesus came that we would have life to the full, but he also commands that we help others.
I'm loving my new boots and the creative presents that I have purchased for my family, but I try to remember that every good and perfect gift is from above...
Confession: my mom asks what I need for Christmas, and I cannot think of anything. Honestly. Jesse and I have been really convicted about how much money we have been spending in the last few weeks on winter clothes, shoes and "supplies" for our upcoming move to frigid Russia. Last night I told Jesse that we might as well wrap up our stuff and put it under the tree because we have already bought each most of our gifts in the form of ski pants, snowshoes, boots, etc. Merry Christmas to us!
Okay, moving right along...
Thank the Lord that despite my own selfish desires, God uses the Christmas season to bring us back to his Son and the hope we have because of Christ's birth (and later his death and resurrection). He also uses this time to shed light on those who are less fortunate. If you are looking for some ways to make someone else's Christmas a little more cheerful, here are some great opportunities:
Salvation Army Angel Tree 2012 We do not have kids yet, so shopping for other little ones is so much fun! There are still a ton of little angels who need gifts!Noonday Collection Buy some awesome gifts (think Anthropologie style) while benefiting the artisans abroad who make these pieces.
HOPE International A great ministry that helps those living in poverty throughout 16 countries generate income using a micro-finance model. For $30 you can purchase fabric and thread for a seamstress living in Rwanda so that she can grow her business and help others in her community! See website for more info.
Employee Matching If you work for a large corporation, what you may not know is that they will match donations to certain non-profit organizations or schools. That is money just waiting to be allocated by YOU to someone who needs it.
Obviously there are more ways to bless people who really need our help, and by doing so we can show what Christmas is all about. I'm not condemning shopping or giving gifts to our friends and relatives. This is a time to celebrate after all! Jesus came that we would have life to the full, but he also commands that we help others.
I'm loving my new boots and the creative presents that I have purchased for my family, but I try to remember that every good and perfect gift is from above...


No comments:
Post a Comment